When a fire occurs in your home, it can be the result of a number of different causes. Regardless of how the fire started, the damage that follows is devastating. As the leading fire damage cleanup experts in Marietta, Dry Pros wants to be sure that you are ready and prepared to do all you can to prevent a fire from occurring. That is why we want to share with you the most common causes of house fires and how you can take extra precautions to prevent them from damaging your home.
Kitchen fires are the most common type of house fire. In fact, cooking is the cause of half of all house fires in the United States (according to the U. S. Fire Administration). This is primarily because the kitchen if full of flammable items, mixed with the high temperatures that are used for cooking. The sad truth is that most kitchen fires, and therefore most house fires, can easily be prevented. Cooking fires are primarily the result of neglect in the kitchen. The best thing you can do to prevent a fire from breaking out in the kitchen is to never leave cooking food or appliances that are turned on unattended. It is also important to keep flammable items away from heat sources, and do not let items get close to open flames on a stove top. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher n hand near the kitchen to utilize if a small contained fire breaks out. Also, remember that grease fires cannot be extinguished with water so keep excess flour, baking soda, or a large lid near the stove when cooking with grease to extinguish a grease fire.
Heating devices are the second most common cause of house fires, and most often occur when space heaters of fires are left on unattended. You must be sure to keep flammable objects at a safe distance (at least 5 feet) from space heaters and fire places, and do not leave them on or burning if you have to leave the room. Keep chimneys for fireplaces and wood burning stoves cleaned out because obstructions and build up can cause fires to spread and get out of control.
Inattentiveness is the third most common cause of house fires, and is completely unavoidable. Unintentional fires caused by carelessness are, unfortunately, all too common. We all make mistakes, but we should all practice extra caution when using anything that could possibly start a fire. Negligence with potential fire hazards is something every one of us can and should work on, starting with never leaving a heating device, kitchen appliance, or lit candle on while unattended. While this may seem inconvenient, it is nothing compared to the inconvenience of losing your home and possessions to a fire. Failing to put out cigarettes completely, being careless in the kitchen, not storing matches and lighters in safe areas out of reach of children, and failing to turn off gas tanks when no longer in use are just a few examples of careless actions that can lead to house fires.
Call Dry Pros if you experience a fire or smoke damage disaster in Marietta